Pioneer Families‎ > ‎


Ingerbrit A. Ringheim was a native of Norway being born in Voss in 1835. He was the fifth of seven children.

In 1856, he came to the United States and settled in Decorah. He worked on a farm for a short while before becoming a store clerk. In 1865, he came to Nevada and entered into a merchant partnership with a Mr. Johnson, with the firm being known as Johnson & Ringheim. He continued his dry goods business in the same location until the day he died.

He married Mrs. Lorinda T. Johnson on December 19, 1867. They had four children, Siveri, Ada J., Emma C., and Jennie. Lorinda was born February 3, 1842 (approximate date). She died on March 11, 1872, just nine days after the birth of their
fifth child. On May 6, 1874, Mr. Ringheim married Miss Jennie Sime, daughter of Colben Sime. Jennie Sime was born January 9, 1850, in Vossevangen, Norway. She came to Chicago in 1861, and later came to Nevada. She was a member of the Lutheran Church. This union was blessed with eight children: Lida B., Charles I., Bessie, Sarah, Edwin A., Noah A., David T., and Ingerbrit A., later known as “Ivan.”

The Ringheim household was home for extended family as well. There were fifteen people living in the household in the 1880 census. In addition to Mr.
and Mrs. Ringheim and their seven children were two nieces, a nephew,
Mrs. Ringheim’s sister, and two servants. The nephew, Andrew M. Ringheim, clerked in Mr. Ringheim’s store and later took over the dry goods business in Nevada.

One of these servants, Carrie Knutson nee Isaacson, related her experience living in early Nevada. She came to Nevada at the age of fifteen to work for Mrs. Tolbert and her husband, a miller. She stayed with the Tolberts for six months. As her
wages were not very high, Carrie took a position at the Ringheims for $2.00 per week, which was a lot of money for a girl with little knowledge. Mrs. Ringheim was patient and soon Carrie learned how to cook and wash.

After Miss Isaacson left the Ringheims, she went to the hotel near the Ringheim’s store. There Mrs. Hutchins hired her. Noticing Carrie’s handsewn apron she wore to work, Mrs. Hutchins soon had her sewing table cloths, sheets, pillowslips and clothes
for her five children. Mrs. Hutchins cut them out and Carrie sewed them.

After many months of sewing, Mrs. Hutchins had Carrie work in the dining room. When the cook left, Carrie replaced him. She made her own yeast bread,
biscuits, rolls, pies, cookies, doughnuts, tarts, mincemeat, and puddings. She stayed there off and on for nine years making as much as $5.00 per week.
When she left employment at the hotel, the Ringheims asked her back but instead she worked for Jack Ross, who was then renting the hotel.

I. A. Ringheim held positions of trust and responsibility in the interest of school and city government. He was also a pillar of the Lutheran Church, of which he was a member.

I. A. Ringheim died on October 10, 1893. He is buried in the Nevada Cemetery. Jennie moved to California in 1906 to be near her children. She died on January 2, 1945, at San Fernando, California.

Sisters Hannah Ringheim, born April 30,1858, and Emily Ringheim, born December 19, 1855, were born in Decorah. They were the daughters of Knute and Margaretta Ringheim. Knute and Margaretta also had two other daughters and one son.

In the early 1880s they made their way to Nevada to work under the apprenticeship of their uncle, I. A. Ringheim. In 1882, they made their home on Locust
Street at the present address of 716 5th Street. This home stayed in the ownership of Ringheim family members until 1963.

In 1885, the sisters opened their own dry goods business under the name of “H. and E. Ringheim.” It was located at the present address of 1024 6th Street. Their brother Andrew joined them in business in 1887 in the adjoining room to the north. In 1906,
they merged the two businesses and became known as “Ringheim and Ringheim.” The sisters also had interests in a dry goods business in Perry. They were
enterprising women and were well recognized in the area for their fine quality of goods.

Hannah was hit and killed by a car while crossing the street at the corner of 6th Street and H Avenue on July 15, 1920. Her funeral services were held at both
the home and at Memorial Lutheran Church. At that time it was described as perhaps being the largest gathering of people ever brought together in Story
County for a funeral service.

After Hannah’s death, Emily retired from active management of the business leaving it in the hands of her brother Andrew. She continued to spend as much time in the store as her health would permit until she was compelled to retire in 1924. Her death occurred at home in 1944.